Mason Jenkins
Mrs. Wilhelmus
AP English Language
4 August 2013
Kant and Perspective
In the “Kant” chapter in Sophie’s World, Alberto makes
Sophie do an experiment with red-tinted glasses. She simply had to put the glasses on and
explain what she saw. She described what
she saw as exactly the same, but everything was red. The purpose of this experiment was to show
that a person’s perspective of the world will be different than everyone else’s
because of their experiences and knowledge.
The “color” that somebody sees is determined by their life and what they
know.
After learning about the red-tinted glasses experiment, I
realize that I see examples of Kant’s ideas every day. For instance, I have always been taught math
well and I easily understand most things.
Therefore, math is easy for me to do well in and I am very
advanced. So when my younger sister
comes home with math homework and needs help, I quickly get aggravated and
impatient with her when she doesn’t understand it. To me, it is very simple and I feel like she
should not need help with it. That is
because I have already learned that material and I know it. She does not have the same mind as me, so she
may have more trouble with math than I did.
She also may not have been taught the same way as me and she understands
it differently.
Your perspective of the world also changes with different
experiences. I grew up with a full
loving family where we always had everything we needed and more. I never had to worry about anything and I was
a little spoiled. After coming to high
school, I started to meet people that do not live the same way I do. These kids, that are the same age as me, have
only one parent that cannot always provide for them. Therefore, the kid is forced to work very
hard just to survive and help his family.
Their view of the world is completely different than mine. The world around us did not change, but I now
see that there are less fortunate people out there trying to live a better
life. So now I recognize these people
and have more respect for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment